Updating the Presbyterian Denominational House
Originally built in 1889, the Presbyterian House was the first brick structure at the Chautauqua Institution. This project included additions and alterations to the historical structure that added handicap accessibility and group meeting spaces. While care was taken in the design to keep the historical integrity, it was also designed to take the building well into its future.
Location: Chautauqua, NY
Principal in Charge: Don Harrington, architect, LEED AP
Architecture Firm: Harrington Sandburg
Structural Engineering: Siracuse Engineers, Buffalo, NY
A sustainable energy upgrade, subsidized by the New York State Energy Research and Development Authority, includes energy efficient windows, highly insulated walls and roof, water saving plumbing fixtures and variable frequency drive water pumps, a geothermal heat pump for heating, cooling, and domestic hot water, and heat recovery system.
An 18-kilowatt photovoltaic array of rooftop panels, the largest system in upstate New York, provides electricity during the 10-12 week summer season and powers the ground source heat pumps during the off-season to maintain a building temperature of 55 degrees.